* Discover Historic Virginia by Rail with Amtrak – Round-trip Amtrak fares from Washington DC start at $46 to Richmond and $59 to Lynchburg. For the lowest published rate, book 14 days in advance. Go to www.AmtrakVirginia.com or check with your local ABTA travel agent.
* Virginia by Rail Tour is offered by Purely America - 0844 80 444 80. Prices from £1,199.00 per person based on two adults sharing a room. Visit www.PurelyCapitalRegionUSA.co.uk. Based on a midweek departure.
* Andy Coleman flew from Heathrow to Washington DC on United Airlines. Visit www.unitedairlines.co.uk or call 0846 8444 777. His trip to the USA and transport and accommodation while there was courtesy of Amtrak and Viginia Tourism.
* Before the flight from London he stayed at Heathrow Central Travelodge 0871 984 6249.
* Places to stay, eat and visit:
Lorien Hotel and Spa, 1600 King Street Alexandria, VA (703) 894 3434. www.lorienhotelandspa.com.
BRABO by Robert Wiedemaier – restaurant attached to the hotel.
Mount Vernon, George Washington’s Estate & Gardens (703)780 2000. www.visit.mountvernon.org.
The Bavarian Chef restaurant. (540) 656 2101. www.thebavarianchef.com.
Omni Richmond Hotel. (804)344 7000. www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/Richmond.aspx.
Urban Farmhouse Market (804) 325 3988. www. theurbanfarmhouse.net.
Virginia Capitol (804) 698 1788. www.virginiacapitol.gov.
Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (804)340 1400. www.vmfa.museum.
Craddock Terry (434) 455 1500. www.craddockterryhotel.com.
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park (434)352.8987. www.nps.gov/apco.
Old City Cemetery (434) 847 1465. www.gravegarden.org.
Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. www.poplarforest.org.
Depot Grille (434) 846 4464. www.depotgrille.com.
DeVault Family Vineyards. www.devaultvineyards.com.
Paradise Springs Winery, Clifton. www.paradisespringswinery.com.