The High Court has refused to continue a privacy injunction won by the teenage son Jonathan of Meriden MP Caroline Spelman.
But the order continues until at least 4pm next Friday to give 17-year-old Mr Spelman, who is suing through his mother and father Mark, an opportunity to ask the Court of Appeal for permission to challenge Mr Justice Tugendhat’s ruling.
Mr Spelman, whose mother Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman is MP for Meriden, was granted the order preventing the publication of sensitive personal information in the Daily Star Sunday by Mr Justice Lindblom at a private hearing earlier this month.
The judge said the information, which was leaked to the newspaper, attracted a reasonable expectation of privacy and publication would not advance the public interest.
But today, Mr Justice Tugendhat concluded that it was “not necessary or proportionate” to continue the injunction.
The court heard that the Spelman family, who were not present, had already incurred legal costs of £60,994.
Mr Justice Tugendhat said Jonathan Spelman played rugby for England in the under-16 and other squads and for Harlequins, but had not played since being injured in a game last September.
"His youth, and his success in public sport, are two of the most important facts at the heart of this case."
He said the newspaper had not told the court what information it intended to disclose, but stated in its evidence that its story highlighted "the pressures on elite athletes from the very beginning of their sporting careers" and the facts of Mr Spelman's story "act as a warning".
The newspaper said the tip-off came from a member of the public unconnected to the Rugby Football Union, Mr Spelman's boarding school or Harlequins and it was not a breach of confidence or sourced from his "inside circle".
Some relevant facts were circulating in rugby circles and were not being treated as confidential, it added.