Staffordshire couple saved from fire by dog
A couple rescued from a blazing pub in Staffordshire were saved by their pet dog’s barking.
Firefighters rescued the pair trapped on the first floor of the Royal Oak Pub in Bishops Wood, Brewood at 2.12am today.
The crews said the tenants didn’t have any working smoke alarms and could have died if it had not been for their dog’s barking, which woke them up.
Firefighters discovered the man and woman sitting on a first floor window ledge with their dog when they arrived at the scene..
The fire, which started in a tumble dryer on the ground floor, had blocked the couple’s exit, trapping them in a bedroom as it had spread to the staircase.
Station manager Alan Bateman said: “The crew from Brewood acted very swiftly in safely rescuing the couple and the dog.
“Credit also goes to the staff in control who were in contact with the woman on her mobile phone as firefighters made their way to the scene, keeping her calm and advising her on what to do.”
Mr Bateman said the couple, who were treated at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation, were lucky to survive the ordeal.
“They had got into the habit of putting the bar towels into the tumble dryer last thing at night and going to bed,” he said.
“On this occasion fluff and debris had collected in the machine and as it was operating a fire started. This is known to be a common cause of fires involving tumble dryers.
“It was the dog who woke them up. If he hadn’t started barking we may very well be dealing with a much more serious incident.
“The kitchen runs through to the living room which is where the staircase is. The fire had spread from the kitchen to the lounge and reached the stairs, effectively trapping them.
“There are three crucial points to what happened here. First of all, people should never go to bed and leave a tumble dryer on.
“Appliances like this must be used when there are people around to make sure it is working and to keep an eye on it until it stops its cycle.”
The couple who were treated by ambulance paramedics at the scene, did not attend hospital. After ventilation of the property had taken place, they returned to it.